Sunday, August 29, 2010

Stairs with flair

Lately, when I haven’t been able to work on site, I’ve been building the first flight of stairs in my garage. You may notice that it bears an uncanny resemblance to a chest of drawers.

The carcase is 30mm medium density fibreboard (MDF), glued and screwed, with the stairs and treads clad with 100 year old tallow wood floor boards. The 12 drawers are solid tallow wood with through dovetails at each corner. I opted for through rather than the more traditional half blind dovetails on the drawer fronts because I quite like the somewhat industrial look it gives.

But why drawers?”, I hear you ask.  Well, you can never have enough storage and it just seemed a good use of space.

At this stage the ancient lino glue and paint splatters are still apparent. I’ll attack the finish when all the cabinet work is done so I can get a consistent feel across the whole piece. As for drawer knobs - I’m not sure yet. If you have any ideas leave a suggestion.

By the way, if you’re wondering how I’m going to move it - I’ve constructed the cabinet in two pieces. The top section of six drawers lifts off the bottom two rows, or at least I didn’t mean to put any glue there.

No comments:

Post a Comment