I’ve been beavering away at the kitchen bench for a few weekends now and I think it’s coming together pretty well. In fact, some friends popped by on Sunday and admired the “lovely sideboard” I was making – I was chuffed as I think that sounds much more upmarket than “kitchen bench”.
On the weekend I ran across a snag when I started to assemble the cupboard doors. As with most of my construction the plan was to use size “20” biscuits on each joint. Well, after cutting the first slot I realised a “20” was too wide and would show. The smaller size 10 was a good fit, but of course I didn’t have enough for the four doors. (I have thousands of size 20 – but only the two size tens that came with the biscuit cutter when I bought it 10 years ago.) So, decision time, a trip to the hardware shop, elapsed time 60 minutes, or......why not trim down a few size 20’s on the bandsaw, elapsed time 5 minutes.
OK, I have to admit that cutting biscuits on a bandsaw is pretty inefficient, but when the alternative is a trip to the shop and the loss of focus that brings, it seemed a reasonable approach – and it worked.
Next challenge – laminating the bench top using the leftover floorboards from the staircase.