Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Building in memories

From the very start we have wanted to build people and memories into what will one day become our home.  The front veranda, for example, will always remind me of Dad and I mixing concrete by hand for the footings.  The upstairs light switches were painted by Mum, with Mathew 5:16 written on them and ...well you get the idea.

This weekend I started a new project, a large linen press for the landing.  The first step is stripping years of paint from four cedar french doors I found on the rubbish tip at Grenfell, our home town.  Between my hot air gun and Junior's sander the paint didn't stand a chance - though it's only after four or so hours that the first door is starting to emerge.  I'm looking forward to being able to put things in the finished cupboard and think of how we worked on it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment